fbpx

Latest China publications


Schneider Electric reopens China factories closed due to coronavirus

Electrical equipment and data centre infrastructure giant Schneider Electric has said the financial impact of coronavirus on its quarterly revenues could reach €300m after factory closures in China temporarily halted production.

The company was forced to shut down facilities in China in response to the outbreak, 80 percent of which have now reopened.


Google and Facebook shelve US-China subsea cable plan

Plans for a subsea cable system linking Los Angeles directly to China and Hong Kong have been abandoned over concerns about a third-party backer’s ties to Beijing.

Google and Facebook applied to the US regulator, the FCC, for more modest plans for the Pacific Light Cable Network (PLCN), that stop in the Philippines and Taiwan, three years after the tech giants announced what would have been the first submarine cable to directly connect Hong Kong and the US.


Data centres in China set to consume more energy than the whole of Australia

The energy consumed by data centres in China is projected to exceed that consumed by Australia last year, a new report has claimed.

Greenpeace East Asia and the North China Electric Power University, which jointly penned the report, estimate the sector’s electricity consumption to jump to 267 terawatt-hours (TWh) by 2023, surpassing the 261 TWh consumed by Australian homes and businesses in 2018.


Privacy concerns after ZAO face-swap app goes viral in China

China is reckoning with its own consumer privacy scandal after a Deepfake-style app that lets users swap faces with celebrities and sports stars went viral over the weekend. 

After ZAO was released on the Chinese iOS app store on Friday it quickly went viral, clocking up millions of downloads and immediately drawing backlash over data privacy concerns, much like FaceApp, a similar app that went viral in July.


Further delay for US ban on trade with Huawei

A US ban on trade with Huawei has been delayed by a further 90 days, the US Commerce Secretary has confirmed.

Wilbur Ross said a temporary licence that eased restrictions on the Chinese technology giant and had been due to expire on Monday has now been extended to November.

Mr Ross told the Fox Business TV channel that the aim of the initial licence and its extension was to give US firms “a little more time to wean themselves off” Huawei products.



Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!